Monday, January 24, 2011

Our weekend disasters

Well it started pleasant enough.  My friend arrived on schedule with the kids and the dogs, no trouble.  Then within an hour our dog (who previously got along with my friend's dog) decided she didn't like him and drew blood.  Not much, but...so what to do..they are both outdoor dogs.  We brought ours in and hers out.  Less chance of marking territory. She followed me around all day, even in the craft room and she curled up on the cat bed.
Her other little guy is an indoor dog and he had to be tied in case of chewing and marking. Lyra was good as long as that fellow was tied, but as soon as he was loose watch out..I never heard such sounds or saw such a face as coming from that dog before.  Feeding time was to say the least interesting.  We were always switching off the dogs for pee breaks and food.
Sat. morning we had a new baby goat and my friend wanted to see it , so down to the barn we went.  They also wanted to try bottle feeding our other babies.
All was good.  We went to town-30 min. - to get some backing and quilt batting to get started on finishing one of my quilts and found that particular town doesn't have too many businesses open on Sat.  Not busy enough--go figure--a little disappointed we just got our groceries and went home.  Then pinned one of  my other quilts that I did have all the supplies for.

Brad spent from when we got home at 3 until 1:30 in the morning fixing his car that broke last week.  In the morning he came back from the barn with the news that one of our little ones had died.  We thought maybe mom wasn't letting him eat due to some sores on her teats.  Upon further investigation it turns out that was only the beginning. After holding mom so the other baby could suck I found out that some of her udder and both her teats were hard with no milk.  We attempted to bottle feed.  Not so good.  Ended up every time baby baaaahed we squirted some milk in.  In the end he got almost 6 oz.  We'll be trying again today and possibly calling the vet to see what can be done about mom, if anything.
Brad also attempted to go to his friends to pick up our deer meat and he made it 3 miles down the road and after getting stuck in drifts a couple times turned around to go the other way and made it 1.5 miles down the other way and his engine caught fire from working too hard to get through the snow.  Remember this is the car that he just spent all that time fixing.  So needless to say the weekend sure wasn't the pleasant time I was hoping for.  I didn't even get my cookies baked for Brad.  On the up note. I did get a great phone call from my good friend in Texas.  I miss her so much.  They are going to try to come up for Justine's wedding.

 I noticed this morning that the buses haven't been through, nor the plow--I'm suppose to get grain from the neighbour 4.5 miles down the road.. I wonder if I'll be able to.  I'll really have to listen for the plow later.

So what's up for today.  Chores and baking, laundry, cleaning out a kidding pen or two, getting grain, schooling Taylor, and making supper.  Maybe I'll be able to get a little crafting in there--not likely...ugh I'm so tired already and nothing has even been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment