Friday, May 27, 2011

Nearly Done

Barn news.  A new fence was placed and the goats were released.  They had the area leveled in almost the same amount of time it took for Brad to get it up.  By the second day all the new growth was gone.  The herd is being put into the pasture this weekend.  I wish there was a way for us to keep the smallest babies back near the barn.
We had another death and another near death.  B40 died leaving 2 babies 1 month old.  So we now have 9 bottle babies again.  Another mama is pretty close to death, we'll see when we do chores tonight.  I'm convince due to the reading in my books and on different goat sites that we have Johne's Disease going through our herd.  There is no cure at this time.  Other than the standard colds going around all the other goats 'seem' healthy.
The chickens are still in the garden, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them.  The new chicks are to arrive on Thurs. so this weekend will be spent making sure the chicken coop is ready for them.
I'm still thining about getting a dairy goat, just not sure of the commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment