Saturday, February 12, 2011

Update

It's been quite a while since I was last on here.. Busy busy.  Taylor and I have been down at the barn 3 times a day to feed and watch for new ones.  We are down to 29 pregnant does.  There may be some in there that aren't pregnant but we won't know until we're down to the last.  A pregnancy test would be easier, but more expensive than waiting.  We now have 15 bottle babies--12 in a pen and 3 out.  We've bought 2 milk feeders, but the babies seem to like having the physical contact of people and they seem to only drink from it if we are there.  That isn't the purpose  :(   We have lost 3 babies recently to malnutrition (we believe)  Brad mentioned the possibility of mouse poop poisoning as there seems to be quite a few mice in the creep feeder.  We haven't figured which is better, the chance of the goats dying from toxemia from the cat poop or dying from eating bad mice poop.  I think we should stick a cat or 2 down there.  The problem would be keeping them in there.  They aren't used to the barn or the goats and I don't think the mice would be enough of a lure to keep them there.  I'm hoping Brad will take our first shipment of goats to the market on March 12.  I figure the bucks and any moms who have dried up or didn't have babies can be sent.  That will clear out several and we can then shift the older/bigger babies and their moms into a different area.  Will he agree?  The babies are now hopping all around and jumping up and down on the little snow banks around the barn.  It is so fun to watch.  I'll have to get a picture or video--maybe later today.

Well craft wise,   I'm trying to catch up on my 2010 block of the month.  I'm on July now.  I'm also working on the 2011 block of the month.  They are doing 2 a month and so far I'm on April.  Still on track.  I joined a few SAL's for cross stitching and it is hard trying to keep up.  We had our book club meeting and it was fairly good.  They haven't yet picked another book, the leader Janice is going to do that.  I also went to my first Homeschool meeting since moving here.  It is in Stettler.  The ladies all seem nice.  It is a fairly laid back group, mostly a social gathering over coffee.  I mentioned that I would like some topics every now and then, not just gabbing.  We'll see if anything comes up.

Well on to the rest of my day.  Happy Valentines in case I'm not on here again before then.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.....and I feel busy with 3 pet wethers and my chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sorry for your loss. I have lost a couple of calves this season. Never easy. Lots of work for you. B

    ReplyDelete